Saturday, May 3, 2008

Fan-Friggin-Tastic

Last night after a long day in the classroom, I took off for an overnight trip to second mountain. Bounced up the final mile of off-road like conditions in jeep around 7PM. Given my late departure, I was prepared for some serious night bouldering; I had a head-lamp, lantern, food, and some beers. To my dismay when I got to the rocks and started to set up shop, I realized my lantern didn't work (stupid battery powered lamps). Didn't matter that much I was still there and wanted to get some climbing in. That night i took on some simple V0 and V0+'s to warm up for the Couch Boulder.

Once I hit this monster couch shaped boulder it got real serious real fast (it kinda reminded me of the giant couch on the on Ghallager Show). I started my buisness here with the V2 Punji Sticks. A short, overhanging 3 move problem. Doesn't sound too bad until you see the landing. It was a raised rock platform with other rocks the size of pillows (but not soft and fluffy like) strewn about and quickly sloping away from the problem. A slip at the top would surely do some serious damage. To avoid this painful beginning to the weekend I made it a point to send the problem in short order (2 tries). On the backside of this i tried two other problems a V2 (Sex Appeal) and a V4 (Italian Gelato) neither of these problems fell that night. They were both very friction dependent and on a humid evening that just wasn't going to happen. After this I just meandered around for a while looking for other cool problems but didn't find anything that inspired me at that hour.

The next morning it was back to work. I started my day at Melissa's Wall on a V0 and V0+ again; the V0 was kind of a scary highball. After this I made my way back to the Satellite boulder, where I found myself again in the "Unnamed roof problem" V4. I spent a few minutes working out the last 2 moves to make sure I could stick them, sat down and sent that rig. Lucky for you who have been reading this (if anyone has) now there is video of what I was trying to describe. ENJOY!




After this I spent some time starting to work out a nearby V3 and V5 both of which were kinda greasy from the moisture in the air. I'll hopefully get these some day when it's a little less humid.

Later.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Great video... I am so proud of you...